Thursday, February 7, 2013

Steller's Jay

This is a Steller's Jay, a very close relative of the Blue Jay, that lives in the western part of the United States, including Alaska.  And yes, it's in the process of swallowing a whole peanut, with the shell still on.  When I put a handful of peanuts out in my uncles backyard in Anchorage, Alaska, I really wasn't expecting much.  Maybe a few squirrels, or some ravens.  But I was bored, so I sat there for a little bit and watched.  When this bird showed up, I was expecting it to just grab a peanut and book it.  It then proceeded to swallow one, grab another in it's beak, and fly away, coming back every couple of minutes until the whole pile was gone.  Every time I would put more peanuts on the table, that bird would be back within five minutes, lugging them off to its tree somewhere.  At least it won't need to worry about going hungry this winter.        

No comments:

Post a Comment