Friday, March 22, 2013

Bonefish

Sadly, this is the only picture I was able to take of my prey during the whole spring break week.  Well, technically not prey, because I don't fish for bonefish for food.  I fish for them because it almost seems like a hunt, where I would be the predator, and they, the prey.

Fishing for bonefish can sometimes be the most terrible hobby in the world.  As I did, you can go for a week or longer without getting the chance to feel one of these powerful fish peeling line off your reel with ease.  It takes lots and lots of patience.  Here's an example.  One day me and my dad were out on the flats, walking through just about knee deep water.  A perfect depth for bonefish.  The tide had lined up with a break in the wind, and we weren't about to miss a chance to fish.  The only problem was the multiple clouds clogging up the blue sky.  When we fish, we wear polarized sunglasses, which help fisherman to see through into the water, making it easier to spot fish.  Constant sunlight is necessary for this to work, which we didn't have.  So, during the few bouts of sunlight that we did have, I spotted a fish. It was about 50 feet away, slowly making its way towards us; a perfect set up.  All we had to do was stand still and wait.  And then, the lights went out.  A cloud roller over the sun, and all visibility was lost. As we waited for the cloud to move on, I tried to think about where the fish would end up.  And then the lights turn on, the fish is 5 feet in front of me, and I see a blast of sand underwater as he spots us and darts away.  Time to do it all over again.        

No comments:

Post a Comment