Friday, March 22, 2013

Cuban Emerald Hummingbird

The above shot is of a Cuban Emerald Hummingbird, a type of hummingbird native to Cuba and the Bahamas.  Whenever I see a hummingbird at home in Massachusetts, I never have my camera with me, so I've just been waiting for a chance.  My first day down in the Bahamas was one of the best days, weather wise, of the whole week.  I was so excited to see dozens of these tiny birds flitting around from flower to flower, barely staying still for long enough to get a photograph.  This particular one would roost up on a branch above a group of flowers, and wait.  Whenever another hummingbird would come by and try to feed, he would swoop down and chase them off with a lot of angry chattering.  Surprisingly enough, despite their size, these little guys can produce quite a racket.

Every summer, back in Massachusetts, I notice more and more hummingbirds coming to feed at the flowers around my house.  I'm hoping that this year will be the best year yet.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment