Sunday, April 7, 2013

Monarch Caterpillar

This is the caterpillar of a Monarch Butterfly.  The first time I saw one of these funky little guys was when I was in first grade, on the first day of class.  My teacher had created a whole lesson around these insects, with something typical that we were supposed to take away from it, like "you've watched these caterpillars grow up and fly away, now it's your turn."  Now, I definitely was not paying attention to that part.  I was busy being  mesmerized by the incredible transformation that a caterpillar goes through to become a butterfly.

About five years ago, a couple of milkweed plants sprouted up outside in my yard.  Milkweed is the only type of plant that a Monarch caterpillar will eat (the leaf in the picture is a milkweed leaf).  Each year since then, more and more milkweed has started to grow in that same spot, and each year, we get to see tons of butterfly's laying their eggs.  So although I didn't really pay attention to what my teacher was trying to teach us, I think I can say that that experience in first grade is what sparked my interest in nature, which I am thankful for.      

No comments:

Post a Comment