Monday, April 15, 2013

Yellow-Spotted Salamander

Whenever I see a log or a rock in the woods, I have an intense urge to go over and flip that thing over as fast as I can.  Ever since I was a little kid, any time my father and I go on hikes or walks through the woods, we search for the perfect log to flip over.  What we're looking for is a rotting log or rock, in a moist setting, the perfect home for a salamander.  These little amphibians are one of my favorite animals.  If you're going to start flipping logs to add some extra excitement to your walks through the woods, you'll mostly find Red-backed or Jefferson salamanders, the two most common species that live in New England.  If you're lucky, or after you flip enough logs, you'll find a Yellow-Spotted salamander.  They aren't super rare, but they are still pretty uncommon to find.  I've found two of these specimens in my life, and each time it was a memorable experience.  The bright yellow spots that cover its body make it look almost fake, just too perfect.  After finding this little guy under a decaying log in New York, I took a few pictures, and returned his log, leaving him to eat his worms and other insects crawling around in the dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment